The Inside Scoop: Community Forum
Inquiring minds want to know!

Welcome to YCDC's "Inside Scoop", a place where you can gain insights from others in the dyslexia community and share your experiences. Tell us about what reading programs worked for you, your child, or your students. Pose a question to the community; tell us about schools using thoughtful and effective methods for supporting dyslexic students; tell us about places and programs that might be overrated. We hope that postings will be constructive and helpful to others. We reserve the right to remove material. We will not post contact information, but ask that you leave your email address. The Center may wish to follow up to learn more.

This information has been posted by visitors to this site. These opinions are personal and DO NOT reflect the views of YCDC.
how do I tell my child they are dyslexic

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Homepage -> Schools Schools Log in  Register  SearchSearch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessica
Participant

PostPost subject: how do I tell my child they are dyslexic    Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote

We have a 7 year old who has just been diagnosed as having moderate dyslexia, we strongly believe she should be made aware, but how should we approach this, thanks.
Cowardlylion
Participant

PostPost subject: Telling your Child they have Dyslexia    Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Hello, I also have a 7 year old daughter with a form of Dyslexia. It was her brother, my eldest who was diagnosed in May of this year.

I told my son, he was 9 at the time that he was very smart, that he was not stupid( he had told me he was) and that he used a different part of his brain to read, compared to many other kids. I told him that this made him special and great. I also told him that he had many talents that other kids did not, and that he would need to learn to read and do math in a different way- using more of his senses.
Give your child a lot of love and support, get them into activities that they excell in, and they will do well.

Current thinking of Dyslexia is not correct, it is not a disease, it is not a disorder. It is not a disability, although that is what it is called. Your child will most likely be gifted in many areas, and you need to encourage that.

There is a exhaustive list of famous Dyslexics-- you can look them up online and show your child all these amazing and brilliant people-- and say-- you have special gifts too.
If you read up more about Dyslexia-- for example Thomas West-- is a prolific author and documentary film maker. He has been talking of Dyslexia as a gift not a disability for decades now. I believe he is ahead of his time in terms of how Dyslexia is and should be viewed. Several of his films can be viewed online--read what you can and you will be encouraged by it. Dyslexics are very gifted, despite having struggles in rote, mundane tasks that make up most of our the early years of schooling.
Your child has a gift-- in the end-- this will be a good thing.

Be well.
skatermom
Returning participant

PostPost subject: relieved    Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote

my child was older when we finally figured it out - but they were relieved to know there was a reason they were struggling. That they really weren't stupid. It gave them a new sense of confidence, and so many less struggles. Realized why they had to do things differently, and exactly what types of activities were always going to cause difficulties. It was a godsend when it was diagnosed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Homepage -> Schools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: