Checklists for School
- Write out a list of your concerns.
- Set up a specific time to speak with your child's teacher.
- Find out how your child is progressing in reading; you want specific feedback relating to their development of reading-related skills.
Click here for a listing of these skills by age group.
- Pin down exactly how her reading progress is being measured.
- Ask what reading group she is in and what reading level the group represents.
- Ask how she compares to others in the class and in her grade.
- Ask what the expectations are for her by year's end.
- Ask what kinds of help she is receiving—ask for specifics, e.g., is she getting extra time to complete tests, tutoring, etc.
- If you can, visit the class during a reading lesson and observe your child along with her classmates.