The Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity
Who Can Help

dyslexic child and teacher computer technology

If you observe signs of a reading disability in your child, I urge you to talk to your child's teacher. Before doing so, it often helps to list your observations and your concerns. Ask the teacher to categorize your child's progress. Ask her to be quite specific. Ask what the expectations are for a child at that particular time and where he is in relation to his peers.

Also ask how much your child has progressed since the beginning of the school year, and the teacher's prediction for his progress at the end of the year. Inquire about what is being done to ensure that your child increases his reading progress. Remember, scientific data show that reading problems are persistent; they do not represent a temporary lag in development.

A preschooler can be seen by her pediatrician, who can then make a referral for further evaluation if appropriate. Since the focus of the evaluation of such a young child is on his spoken (rather than her written) language, I often turn to a speech and language pathologist to carry out this type of assessment. These specialists are quite knowledgeable about early language development and are often extremely helpful in assessing phonologic skills in young children.

Parents can call the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (301-897-5700) for the names of certified speech and language pathologists in your area, or go to its website,